Table of Content
- 1 When is Hazrat Ali Birthday Celebrated?
- 2 Who was Hazrat Ali?
- 3 Why is Hazrat Ali Birthday Celebrated?
- 4 How is Hazrat Ali Birthday Celebrated?
When is Hazrat Ali Birthday Celebrated?
Hazrat Ali Birthday 2022 Date
Tuesday, 15th February, 2022
Hazrat Ali was born inside the Kaaba in Mecca, Hejaz, Arabia, in 600 A.D (13th Rajab). So, 13th Rajab, according to the lunar calendar of Islam, is the day when we celebrate Hazrat Ali Birthday.
Who was Hazrat Ali?
“Maulaye Muttaqeen Ameer Al Momineen Hazrat Ali”
Shia Muslims call him by the name “Maula Ali” or “Ya Ali”. It is believed he was the first Caliph( Messenger of God ).
Hazrat Ali was born to Fatimah inside the Kaaba in Mecca, Hejaz, Arabia, in 599 A.D (13th Rajab).
Ali’s eyelids weren’t opened until Muhammad had looked upon him. They both made a great bonding at Ali’s birth.
When Hazrat Ali was six years old, Prophet Muhammad was given consent of his father and Prophet Muhammad’s uncle “Abu Talib” to take the authority of Hazrat Ali and take care of him.
For ten years, Ali stayed under the protection of Prophet Muhammad S.A.W and cultivated in him the characters of Muhammad.
Though Ali was already born and brought up in a Muslims family, he was a firstborn baby who made the declaration in public on his belief in Muhammad.
Why does Shia Muslims call Hazrat Ali – Maula Ali or Ya Ali?
“Maula Ali” title was given by Prophet Muhammad ( Rasool Allah S.A.W) to Hazrat Ali on the occasion of Ghadir Khumm, which is also called “Eid-ul-Ghadeer”.
Prophet Muhammad S.A.W announced by saying, “Mann Kunto Maula Fahaza Ali-un Maula,” that means to whom Muhammad is Master (Maula), for them Hazrat Ali is Master(Maula) too. For Shia Muslims, Maula means King of Muslims.
Hazrat Ali was the first Imam of Shia Muslims. They call Hazrat Ali Maula Ali or Ya Ali because they consider Ali their first Caliph( Sunni Muslims considered Muhammad their first Caliph, the Messenger of God and near God and pray through Prophet Muhammad to Allah).
Similarly, Shia Muslims also call upon Allah and pray through Maula Ali. They send their prayers to Allah through Hazrat Ali, as to them he is the messenger of God.
Name of Hazrat Ali Sons Died in the Battle of Karbala
In the Battle of Karbala, about seventy or seventy-two people died belonged to Husayn’s side, out of which fifty-four people were Ashab-e-Rasool (friends of Muhammad).
Among them, eighteen were related to the family of Banu Hashmi (society of Quaraysh tribes) and among those people sixteen were Hazrat Ali’s sons whose names are as follows:-
Husayn ibn Ali
Muhsin ibn Ali
Ubaidullah ibn Ali
Hasan ibn Ali
Abi Bakr bin Ali
Muhammad al-Aswat ibn Ali
Yahya ibn Ali
Abbas ibn Ali
Jafar ibn Ali
Abdullah Akbar ibn Ali
Musa ibn Ali
Muhammad ibn al- Hanafiyyah
Umar bin Ali
Awn ibn Ali
Muhammad al-Asghar ibn Ali
Hazrat Ali Life Journey and Beliefs
● Hazrat Ali was born to Quraysh(Banu Hashim) tribes. He took birth inside the Kaaba in Mecca, Hejaz, Arabia, in 599 A.D (13th Rajab).
● Hazrat Ali was the son of Abu Talib ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib and Fatimah bint-e Asad. Hazrat Ali’s full name was “Ali ibn Abi Talib”. He is also known for other names like Abu Turab, Abu Al Hassan, and Haider.
● He was the close friend and the son-in-law of Prophet Mohammed and married his daughter Fatimah al-Zahra. He had four children with Fatimah al- Zahra: Al-Hasan, Al-Husayn, Zaynab, and Umm Kulthum.
● For Shia, he was the first Caliph (for Sunnis, the fourth Caliph). After Fatimah al-Zahra died, Hazrat Ali was married to several other wives in which “Umamah bint Zaynab”, Muhammad’s granddaughter, was also included.
● Hazrat Ali died on 28th January (21st Ramadan) after two days of his injury(struck by a sword, which was poison-coated) which he got from the attack from “Amr ibn Muljam al-Muradi.”
● According to the belief of Islam, Hazrat Ali was the first person who accepted Islam. (Under the guidance of Prophet Mohammed)
● He fought various battles like the Battle of Badr, also known as (Jang-e-Badar), where he defeated and killed Waleed Bin Utah and in the Trench battle, also known as (Jang-e-Khandaq) where he defeated and killed Umaro Bin Abdul.
● He was fearless and held the opinion that the asset of the government was public property and should be utilized in their welfare only.
● He believed to treat the women and the children well and do them justice. He always used to forgive his enemies and also gave the same training to the Muslim army when he ruled upon Muslims for 5years.
Why is Hazrat Ali Birthday Celebrated?
Hazrat Ali’s birthday is impressively celebrated in India with a vast population of Muslims. Muslims celebrate his birthday to show respect and lots of love.
Hazrat Ali was considered Maula by Shia Muslims, which means the messiah and the protector of Muslims and fought bravely for Muslims’ welfare and respected their dignity and feelings.
● Hazrat Ali’s birthday is celebrated to honour the occasion of Ali Ibn Abu Talib’s birth anniversary.
● After Khadija(wife of Prophet Muhammad), Ali was the second person who adopted Islam in the sight of Prophet Muhammad.
● Hazrat Ali was considered the first Caliph by Shia Muslims and the fourth Caliph by Sunni Muslims.
Hazrat Ali was the close friend, cousin, and son-in-law of Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.
How is Hazrat Ali Birthday Celebrated?
● Shia Muslims (Men) devotees gathered together in the nearest mosque to offer prayers and give respect to Hazrat Ali.
● The Shia Muslims (women) prepare different kinds of food and recites “Fatiha” (a prayer for guidance and mercy upon Muslims), and also distribute food and clothes among the poor.
● The parents also teach their children about Hazrat Ali’s bravery, victory, and kindness to the people.